Respected United States medical association the American College of Paediatricians has issued an updated position statement on gender identity that strongly boosts President Donald Trump’s decision on access to private areas in schools. Trump decided to rescind Federal guidance issued by the Obama administration compelling schools to allow ‘transgender’ students access to the locker rooms and toilets of their choice regardless of the discomfort caused to others.
The controversial Obama policy was part of a trend, pushed by militant extreme left-wing activists, of forcing society to accept that biological sex is not an objective physical fact but rather an ‘identity’, expressed in such absurdities as statements that, “my penis is female” and “not all women have a vagina”.
Many feminists and indeed less political females have expressed discomfort with full or partial nudity in front of biological males and have been subject to intimidation and ostracism by the ‘social justice’ left. In particular there have been numerous cases of offenders exploiting ‘transgender’ rights to facilitate access to victims.
Giving evidence to the UK Parliament in 2015 was the British Association of Gender Identity Specialists, basically the professional association for doctors who treat gender dysphoria sufferers in the United Kingdom. They gave evidence (archive here, pdf here) to the Transgender Equality Inquiry on 20/08/2015 that makes terrifying reading. Please remember that this is not some right-wing extremist group – this is the professional body of the UK doctors who deal with transsexuals, and their President is concerned about –
“[…] the ever-increasing tide of referrals of patients in prison serving long or indeterminate sentences for serious sexual offences. These vastly outnumber the number of prisoners incarcerated for more ordinary, non-sexual, offences. It has been rather naïvely suggested that nobody would seek to pretend transsexual status in prison if this were not actually the case. There are, to those of us who actually interview the prisoners, in fact very many reasons why people might pretend this.”
Far from being a fantasy, rape by offenders posing as transsexuals is a nightmarish and growing threat – an “ever-increasing tide”. One example was the case of Canadian Christopher Hambrook, who was jailed indefinitely after posing as transsexual to access women’s shelters and rape vulnerable women (archive here).
The principles agreed in a statement by the college are summarised as follows (full text here) –
“1. Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of male and female, respectively – not genetic markers of a disorder.
2. No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex. Gender (an awareness and sense of oneself as male or female) is a sociological and psychological concept; not an objective biological one.
3. A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking.
4. Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous.
5. According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
6. Pre-pubertal children who use puberty blockers to impersonate the opposite sex will require cross-sex hormones in late adolescence. This combination leads to permanent sterility. These children will never be able to conceive any genetically related children even via artificial reproductive technology. In addition, cross-sex hormones (testosterone and estrogen) are associated with dangerous health risks including but not limited to cardiac disease, high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke, diabetes, and cancer.
7. Rates of suicide are nearly twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden which is among the most LGBTQ – affirming countries.
8. Conditioning children into believing a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.”
The College is to be praised for setting out objective science and President Donald Trump is to be praised for protecting children by listening to facts not fantasies.